After last year’s enforced absence, the Queen Edith’s Community Forum is delighted to confirm details of this year’s Greener Queen Edith’s event, taking place on Saturday 11 September at Wulfstan Way between 9.30am and 1pm. We really hope you’ll be able to come along and join in, and are grateful to all our partners, especially Cambridge City Council and Queen Edith’s Chapel for their support.
Starting with the idea of ‘reduce, re-use, recycle’, there’ll be organisations and activities there who can help you do just that:
- food miles – the QE pop-up fruit stall, offering delicious locally-grown seasonal fruit, with profits donated to the Queen Edith’s Community Food Hub
- car use – pedestrian campaign group, Living Streets, and Cambridge Cycling Campaign
- household goods and more – featuring the return of the much-loved Take It Or Leave It stall, run by the council’s recycling champions
- clothes – the East Anglia Children’s Hospice shop on Cherry Hinton Road will have a pop-up sale rail
- books – the Friends of Rock Road Library will be back with their bargain books
- toys – swaps and donations with A Toy’s Life and Beyond
- shopping bags – decorate reusable cloth bags provided by the council’s Community Engagement team
Yes! If you have any unwanted as-new clothes, toys, books and household goods which you think others might like, please do bring them down for the appropriate stall.
- skips – Cambridge City Council will be providing recycling skips at the Queen Edith’s Chapel car park. Small quantities only. No commercial or garden waste. Do not arrive early or you will be asked to come back later.
There’s also ideas about green ways to spend your leisure time from Nightingale Gardeners and CPPF. You’ll be able to borrow some kit to go for a quick litter pick in your favourite grot spot. And Claire (from the Queen Edith’s Community Forum) and Ed (Cambridge City Council) would love to talk to you about how we can develop a longer-term vision for a better, brighter, greener Queen Edith’s, so do come ready to share your ideas.
Finally we’re excited to announce that we’re partnering with Cambridge Junction to provide some live entertainment! Performers Hunt and Darton say:“We love talking, and we want to talk to you. LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! HDTV invites you onto the sofa for a chat that celebrates the art of conversation. (Applause) Join us to share your wares, put the world to right or at least learn something new about each other.
That’s a wrap.”
To help keep the event safe and enjoyable for everyone, please:
- listen to the stewards at all times, particularly in and around the area where the skips are located
- behave considerately – please respect the local volunteers who give their time to make this event possible
- be Covid safe – sanitize your hands, keep socially distanced, consider wearing a mask, and stay away if you feel unwell.
We hope everyone will have a great morning – the weather forecast is fine and we’re looking forward to bringing our fantastic community back together again!